Your Guide to ANZAC Day on the Gold Coast
With ANZAC Day 2020 being a quiet one, don’t miss out on the big celebrations happening on the Gold Coast for ANZAC Day 2021.
ANZAC Day 2020 was certainly a quiet one given the social distancing restrictions as a result of the pandemic. With restrictions easing up this ANZAC Day 2021, don’t miss out on your chance to celebrate Anzac Day on the Gold Coast this year.
Here is our list of the most popular Gold Coast 2021 ANZAC Day events you’ll want to tick off your bucket list this year.
Thanks to the minimised restrictions, resulting from the current COVID-19 environment, ANZAC Day 2021 at the Currumbin RSL is happening with a stronghold effort to stretch out the celebrations over a whole week.
Historically, up to 20,000 people attend the ANZAC Day Dawn Service at Elephant Rock. However, as certain social distancing restrictions are still in place, the Currumbin RSL is unable to support the crowd levels, as planning for safety, presentation and infrastructure will take too long to prepare.
The week long celebrations will allow for the dispersion of crowds, allowing just as many people to attend the 2021 ANZAC Day events but over different occasions. Dawn Service and the mid-morning service is still set to take place at the Currumbin RSL cenotaph among the following activities:
- Poppy Installations and Lighting of Bridges and Buildings happening on Saturday 17 April 2021. A large red poppy symbolising remembrance and a white poppy symbolising peace will be installed at Elephant Rock, followed by a purple poppy installation taking place at the Animal Heroes Memorial at Dune Cafe in Palm Beach Parklands. Thrower’s Bridge in Currumbin will be installed with red lighting symbolising Lest We Forget. The Currumbin RSL will also be lit red.
- The Currumbin RSL Women’s Auxiliary, along with community members and representative local schools, will be knitting poppies for ANZAC Day. Members of the public are encouraged to get involved and can do so by heading to www.currumbinrsl.com.au/anzac-day/.
- 19 April to 23 April 2021, the week leading up to the long weekend, will have Currumbin RSL opened up to schools for students and staff to view the memorabilia, cenotaph and to meet honourable veterans.
- Sunday 18 April 2021 will see RSL host a new event called the ‘Walk of Remembrance’ for veterans who have lost their lives as a result of suicide. Commencing at Kirra and finishing at the Currumbin RSL, the walk intends to highlight the plight of veterans and bring attention to the importance of mental health and the necessary support networks.
- Thursday 22 April 2021 will see Currumbin RSL host the Greater Southern Gold Coast Chamber of Commerce breakfast, which will also feature Veteran Business and Employment.
- Sunday ANZAC Day 25 April 2021 will see the relocation of Dawn Service to the Currumbin RSL cenotaph. The Burial at Sea is to proceed as normal at Elephant Rock with the assistance of the Currumbin Beach Vikings Surf Club.
Attendance priority will be given to Currumbin RSL members and veterans. A broadcast or live stream of the Dawn Service will be made available for the general public.
Keep an eye on the Currumbin RSL ANZAC Day Facebook page for further updates regarding operations and events for ANZAC Day 2021 celebrations.
Anzac Day Races at the Beaudesert Race Club
If you’re feeling up for a drive on Anzac Day, head to the Beaudesert Race Club which is just over an hour northwest of the Gold Coast.
Featuring a local traditional event that witnessed maxed-out bookings and plenty of Anzac Day spirit, the ANZAC Day races guarantee excitement and fun that will have you sitting at the edge of your seats.
Watch as the horses race, as the people celebrate in commemoration and remembrance for the diggers who sacrificed for the people to enjoy days like this.
Gates open at 11am and the bars open at 1pm, with free sausage sizzle being served until 1pm. Gate admission is $10 per person, with free admission for kids, pensioners, servicemen and women, and veterans.
The ANZAC Day Races event officially ends at 6pm.
Watch the Gold Coast Titans play against the South Sydney Rabbitohs
Happening on Friday 23 April 2021, the Friday before Anzac Day on Sunday, the Gold Coast Titans go head to head against the South Sydney Rabbitohs at the Cbus Super Stadium in Robina.
A great way to kick start your ANZAC Day long weekend, make the effort to witness a spectacular event take place as the Titans clash against the South Sydney Rabbitohs for the first time in three years on Gold Coast soil.
Titans fans will not want to miss this as Jai Arrow is set to play his first game against his old club, putting question whether the new brigade of Titan forwards led by David Fifita, Moeaki Fotuaika, Kevin Proctor, and Tino Fa’asuamaleaui can repel the fearsome pack of Rabbitohs.
Get your seats early to lock in your chance to be ringside as the Titans work hard to hold their ground against one of Sydney’s most renowned clubs.
Celebrate ANZAC Day at the Cooly Hotel
Don’t miss out on quality local ANZAC Day celebrations at the Cooly Hotel.
Kickstarting the long weekend with a bang, soloist Stephen Green takes to the stage on ANZAC Day Eve Saturday 24 April 2021 from 5pm. Once his musical notes come to an end, it’s time to dance your night away as the Disco Disciples take over from 9.30pm to late.
On ANZAC Day Sunday 25 April 2021, a full schedule of live entertainment awaits you at the Cooly Hotel. Indulge in a specially curated dining experience of a Barker’s Creek pork cutlet special served with creamy mash potato, green beans, and balsamic onion gravy with a schooner of Iron Jack for only $25. When it comes to entertainment, the music begins at 2pm with Mikey Edwards, followed by the Fat Albert Band from 6.30pm onward.
Secure a booking by calling the venue at (07) 5589 6888.