There are lots of reasons why you might be in Coolangatta for one night only. You could be in town for the Cooly Classic Ocean Swim
or the famous Coolangatta Gold
; two of the most challenging endurance races in surf sports. Whatever the reason, we know you’ll want to make the most of every minute of your time in Cooly, so we’ve put together a list of things to do by day and the best places to party at night.
Coolangatta by day
- Coolangatta Art and Craft Markets – if you’re in Cooly on the second Sunday of the month, you’re in luck, because the Coolangatta Art and Craft markets are really worth a visit. There’s more than 150 stalls of locally made crafts, fresh produce, homewares, artworks, jewellery, fashions and lots of really neat stuff you won’t find in the shops. They’re on between 8am and 2pm in Queen Elizabeth Park.
- Gold Coast Skydive – if you like the idea of dropping in for the day, Gold Coast Skydive are based on beautiful Kirra beach and offer free daily transfers from Surfers Paradise to Coolangatta. A tandem jump is an awesome way to see the Gold Coast and these guys have an excellent safety record, state-of-the-art gear and professional tandem masters who make sure you have an unforgettable experience.
- Nine Mile Reef Dive Site – like to swim with sharks on your day in Cooly? If you’ve got your ticket, why not hire some gear and head for Nine Mile Reef off Tweed Heads. It’s where all sorts of sharks hang out, from leopard sharks and reef sharks to bull sharks and bronze whalers. There’s also a great population of fish, turtles and stingrays, so if you’ve got a couple of hours to kill, be sure to put on a tank and check out the submarine sights.
- The Strand at Coolangatta – if you’re spending the day on the beach in Cooly, the Strand Coolangatta Shopping Centre is the perfect place to retreat to stock up on sunscreen, grab a bite to eat and enjoy a bit of downtime during the day. You’ll find a great selection of retail stores and specialty shops, some cool bars and eateries and plenty of entertainment from Timezone to Birch Carroll & Coyle Cinemas.
- Walkin' On Water Surf School – located at Greenmount beach, this is the Gold Coast’s number one surf school and a great place to learn to surf in a relaxed non-threatening environment. Drop in for a lesson and let their experienced instructors help you work on your board skills in a sheltered ocean location that’s perfectly suited for mastering the basics.
- Timezone Coolangatta – if you’re into games, this is 3000 square metres of pure players paradise. Walk in here and you’ll wonder where the day went, with Tenpin bowling lanes and over 200 of the latest games and attractions, including dodgem cars and laser skirmish.
Coolangatta by night
When the sun goes down, Cooly comes alive with a great array of dining and entertainment options;
- The Strand Coolangatta – not just a shopping centre, but a dining precinct in its own right, offering a range of cuisines from gourmet burgers and Japanese noodles to tempting desserts including gelato, chocolates, scones, cakes and French macarons.
- The Surf Club Coolangatta - with beachfront views from Rainbow Bay to Surfers and ice cold beer on tap, the Surf Club has good food at great prices, a modern gaming room and a friendly beachside ambience.
- Bin 72 – if you’re after something a bit more upmarket, this stylish restaurant offers a great selection of mains and an impressive list of cocktails and vintage wines.
- Café 28 – if you’re in town on a Friday or Saturday night, this place is pumping till late with great live music from popular local bands.
- Komune Beach Club – a fun venue with a great party vibe, offering good food, exotic cocktails, live music and a resident DJ.
Cooly Hotel day or night
While there are some great dining and entertainment options in Cooly, we’re a little bit biased when we say the Coolangatta Hotel
is actually in a class of its own.
We’re a local institution and one of the best live entertainment venues in the country and if you’re in town for one night only, you could do a lot worse than spending it at the Cooly, because frankly, we’ve got it all.
Like to chill out? The Beach Bar at the Cooly is the perfect place to relax and enjoy the view, with icy cold beer on tap and all the biggest fights and games on the Big Screens.
Like good food? Crave Restaurant at the Cooly has your cravings covered with our awesome selection of salads, steaks, burgers, seafood, pizzas and more.
Like good music? The Bandroom at the Cooly regularly plays host to some of the best Australian and overseas artists and Club Icon Nightclub plays the latest RnB, Hip Hop, Party, Commercial & Pop every Friday and Saturday night.
There’s always something on at the Cooly, so if you’re in town for one day or one night only, come and spend it at the Gold Coast’s most iconic hotel.
02 / 03 / 2018